PDA

View Full Version : Last Sunday I was mostly in...

Steve Webb
14-09-08, 20:05
... this

Yep, last Sunday I got to go out with a mate over here who owns a genuine 1992 AC Cobra Mk IV . Not a replica, but a proper AC built car.
Not only that but the car has been restored and now runs a 302ci Ford V8 (thats 5.0L to us Europeans) that for a little bit of added interest sports a whopping great supercharger.

When the motor was put together it was estimated to have @ 450bhp, its since loosened up considerably. And all this engine sits in a car that weights about a tonne!

After a day running around the French countryside, I got tossed the keys to drive us home. :biggrin: All I can say is WOW :eek: most of the way back was in traffic, so pottering along really, and pottering means 1000rpm in 3rd, The car is geared at 30mph / 1000rpm and is redlined at 6000rpm.

Highlights of the trip back were blipping the throttle on downchanges through towns. I did this pulling up to a set of traffic lights next to a Mercedes dealership and managed to set off half a dozen car alarms. :biggrin:
Oh and finally getting to open up the throttle on a piece of dual carriageway, the thing is immense, totally different league to anything I've ever been in before. It really does snap your head back when the taps are opened!!

I've only just stopped grinning after a week, and just about got my hearing back.

Oh and here is a quick vid of the car from last year.

YouTube - Genuine AC Cobra at Bergerac concours

Steve

(Not been around for a while because the summer has been mental!)

Q4Jan
14-09-08, 23:38
Straw hat and katies bra.

Sounds like fun :biggrin:.

You were glad it wasn't wet on the way back i think.:biggrin:

arjunior45
15-09-08, 08:41
when I drove a ac shelby {with 700bhp} long time ago I've realized that the sound of a GTA-SA worth nothing compared to the cobra. I managed to make several stores alarm to go on driving this car in the center of Thessaloniki, not just car alarms he he he !!!
Now, this car rest at the 7th floor somewhere in Thessaloniki and I'm dreaming of driving it again someday.
AC does not produce any cars anymore, am I correct Steeve?

@ Jan
there is a hard top for the rain you know. Just to keep some water 'out' - some not all!

Q4Jan
15-09-08, 10:23
@ Jan
there is a hard top for the rain you know. Just to keep some water 'out' - some not all!

I was thinking about 5 liter+compressor= 700Nm? in a light car with wide tires and rwd. On a slippery road. :eek:

AlfaJack
15-09-08, 10:31
Very nice Steve.

Thought you had been a bit quiet recently!

arjunior45
15-09-08, 11:04
I was thinking about 5 liter+compressor= 700Nm? in a light car with wide tires and rwd. On a slippery road. :eek:

this one was without hard top and, I believe, it is never driven under rain.