PDA

View Full Version : Cams

Evodelta
26-08-08, 19:16
I am selling some fast road cams and wondered if you were interested.
I already tried them in my car with:

Gasflowed head
Tubular manifold
3" exhaust
Bigger intercooler
Bigger injectors
ECU remap
Standard integrale T3 turbo
to give 360BHP.
Sadly and unknown to me at the time I had a small hole in a boost hose so was losing pressure, you can see this on the graph.
No-one has ever seen this much power from a standard turbo, can you imagine how far I could go with a bigger one and the hole fixed?

I have tried the C&B road cams in my car too, they gave a small increase in power throughout the rev range, but nothing really noticeable, the power delivery was very linear. These ones come in with a great kick-in-the pants that you will really notice, acceleration when overtaking is a whole new experience. biggrin:

They are ?625 per pair + you will need a set of new springs on the inlet because the extra lift will make the originals go coil bound, these are ?17 per pair (small inner, larger outer) also you will need vernier pulleys and the pockets in the pistons making a little deeper. Wossener are already probably deep enough, I did mine with a die grinder whilst they were still in the block (all holes taped up of course).

Let me know if interested......

jimnielsen
26-08-08, 22:58
I can't afford them at the moment - but I'm very interested in your progress on this. The power / boost graph is impressive!

.. what boost control system are you using?

..do you have pics of the process or result of the piston mods?

.. do you have the C&B part numbers so that I can see if the cams would meet my needs/

Thanks, jimn~

Evodelta
27-08-08, 08:50
I can't afford them at the moment - but I'm very interested in your progress on this. The power / boost graph is impressive!

.. what boost control system are you using?

..do you have pics of the process or result of the piston mods?

.. do you have the C&B part numbers so that I can see if the cams would meet my needs/

Thanks, jimn~

The boost control was a hole in a pipe! :doh: That's why you can see the boost tailing off as the revs climb, initially I thought the relatively small turbo couldn't keep up, but afterwards I noticed the real problem... The boost control is a simple ball and spring MBC as outlined in my previous posts on here, it was set to 1.45 bar.

The piston mods are simple. The cut outs are already in your pistons, simply dry build the top end of the engine (can be done in situ), put plasticene on the cutouts and turn it over, the thickness left is the valve to piston clearance, so deepen them according to the instructions.

C&B part numbers are on their site, these aren't C&B cams. They were developed between me, an expert engine builder and another cam manufacturer as I wasn't happy with the C&Bs performance, they are ok, but just a bit mild really.

Another point worthy of note is that when I wheeled the car out on track in its above spec as opposed to what it was before (practically standard apart from an Evocars chip) although the power had gone up by 100bhp, the fuel consumption had gone down dramatically, I was actually taking jerry cans of fuel back home with me.

Good honest power is achieved by the same methods that economy is....