PDA

View Full Version : Advice for wheel angles?

25-08-08, 20:37
I am about to adjust my wheel angles and am curious if anyone have experimented with front wheel camber and toe? Any advice?

I have been using camber in the range 1,5-2 degrees and slight toe out, 4'.

/A

jimnielsen
25-08-08, 21:00
I am using 3.5 degrees (neg) and .5mm toe in. on my racecar Q4. Works well, but I am still getting understeer on tight bends if I push into the corner too hard.

Jimn~

RMB-Racing
25-08-08, 21:14
I am using 3.5 degrees (neg) and .5mm toe in. on my racecar Q4. Works well, but I am still getting understeer on tight bends if I push into the corner too hard.

Jimn~

But if you soften the rear end a bit, it should do the trick. It would give you some oversteering...

Have you tried that?

26-08-08, 07:00
3,5 degree negative camber, that is a lot. What about the tyre wear? I am thinking about the inside of the front wheels. I suppose I have to go for a less agressive wheel angles since I mainly use my car for the road.

Soften the rear end? Do you mean for helping turn in? Normally a softer rear suspension leads to better rera grip and more understeer. Not 100 % related but anyway; a friend mounted the Eibach anti-roll bar kit on his 155 Q4 club racer and it didn't work very wel untill one of the screws to the front anti-roll bar broke, then when the front was soft and the rear was stiff , then it worked fantastic....

/A

Evodelta
26-08-08, 09:07
But if you soften the rear end a bit, it should do the trick. It would give you some oversteering...

Have you tried that?

This is wrong, stiffen the back end for more oversteer.

jimnielsen
26-08-08, 10:02
Agreed- I am getting a stiffer rear anti roll bar made to try for this purpose - I don't believe there is an "off the shelf" one that you can purchase?

on camber - 3.5 deg neg is fine for a racecar where every corner is being taken at max possible speed - but far too much for a street car.

jimn~

RMB-Racing
26-08-08, 10:21
This is wrong, stiffen the back end for more oversteer.

That is correct! My fault... Sorry! :doh:

26-08-08, 10:53
Jim,

If you have a rear anti-rol bar custom made I am definetely interested in one as well.

I bought the Whiteline rear anti-roll bar (BAR 11; 22 mm) which has been fitted on other Q4:s, but it didn't even fit to the trailing arm. At the moment I wait for one of the guys at the alfa155.org forum to give me data/pictures on his BAR 11 to contiunue the process against Whiteline. I sent them a picture of a 155 2.0 TS 16V trailing arm with the anti-roll bar, clearly showing a huge difference betwen their anti-roll bar and the standard one. However they still claim that it is my own fault it doesn't fit....

/A