Gery83
24-08-08, 16:20
What is it exactly good for?
Can I leave it out?
What could be the disadvantages?

Thanks!

wrinx
24-08-08, 16:34
Isn't it a legal requirement for safety purposes??? To prevent pressure build up and release of fumes?

wrinx

Evodelta
24-08-08, 21:00
I think so, if you can find out exactly what it does then you can judge whether to keep it or not.

I think that it pipes the petrol fumes to the intake, no bad thing if it does.

RMB-Racing
24-08-08, 22:38
Its only an environment gadget!

Is takes the fuel fumes into the air intake, instead of out in the open air.

Read here:

"The fuel contained in the fuel tank produces a large quantity of vapours which would cause pollution if released into the atmosphere.
The control and recovery system enables the vapours to be separated, filtered and burnt in the engine.
The vapours coming from the fuel tank through the multifunction valve when the pressure in the valve reaches 0,038 - 0,053 bar, are sent to the fuel vapour separator which, due to its shape enables the condensed fuel to return to the tank in the form of droplets.
The vapours are then sent to the fuel vapour filter, the canister, where they are absorbed and stored by the activated carbon in it.
From here they are sent to the engine intake via the vapour interception valve.
This valve permits the fuel vapours to pass only under certain engine loading conditions. It receives a vacuum which commands the opening when the throttle valve opens the piloting aperture.

cuore_sportivo_155
25-08-08, 08:54
it can make a huge difference in highway driving mileage... up to 40% of your fuel consumption can be replaced by fuel vapors... though I would imagine in a small engined car traveling at a slow and steady pace...

jimnielsen
25-08-08, 10:42
As I have a racecar Q4 - as opposed to a street legal one, I have removed the rear fuel expansion tank (and just vent that to air) and I plan to remove the other stuff to reduse weight and complication.

jimn~

Gery83
25-08-08, 18:30
So, the conclusion is I shouldn't remove it?

25-08-08, 20:09
So, when talking about the fuel vapour system. I found my vacuum hose to be disconnected from the throttle body - probably since years. Could anyone forsee what the effect would be?

I realise it means that there is an open hole in the throtttle body if the hose isn't connected, but what about the fuel vapour system?

/A

Evodelta
25-08-08, 22:02
As I have a racecar Q4 - as opposed to a street legal one, I have removed the rear fuel expansion tank (and just vent that to air) and I plan to remove the other stuff to reduse weight and complication.

jimn~

That's why there is a large hole in the Ozone right over your race track, hope you've got plenty of factor 100 on. :eek:

Evodelta
25-08-08, 22:03
So, the conclusion is I shouldn't remove it?

There is no good reason to, so leave it on.