PDA

View Full Version : What's this?

wrinx
13-08-08, 22:11
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Q4/Q4_query.jpg

There's a sender screwed in just above it (water temp sender???), I broke the thin wire tonight!

But what is the little round thing, about 45-50mm diameter, with an electrical connection coming from it. The "real" one doesn't look like it sticks out as much as that drawing depicts.

wrinx

AlfaJack
13-08-08, 22:17
I believe its the oil pressure sensor...il try and find a pic of the one on mine for comparison.

There is a little sensor below (maybe above, cant remember - thats the low oil pressure sensor to illuminate the dash warning light

EDIT, I have pics of most bits of this engine but not that bit.

wrinx
13-08-08, 22:45
Ta...there is one sensor above it with a very thin wire, which I broke!

Not sure if there's another underneath actually...and one on this thing too.

Lots of very thin wires around that area! Most of mine feel very brittle thanks to the excessive underbonnet temperature...or age? Which is why the thin wire broke!

Hopefully repaired the coolant fan anyway :cool:

wrinx

AlfaJack
14-08-08, 00:22
My pressure sensor wire is broken too I think, the low pressure light switch also failed once and leaked oil. Wire seems sort of ok though :)

Probably the heat from the turbo and age isnt on its side...

Gery83
14-08-08, 07:12
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Q4/Q4_query.jpg

There's a sender screwed in just above it (water temp sender???), I broke the thin wire tonight!

But what is the little round thing, about 45-50mm diameter, with an electrical connection coming from it. The "real" one doesn't look like it sticks out as much as that drawing depicts.

wrinx

Hi!

That is the oil pressure sender, for the instrument on your dashboard.
And located around it are the oil pressure switch (for the "oil pressure low" light), and the oil temperature sensor.
NOT THE WATER TEMP SENSOR! That is on the top of the thermostat, on the right side of the engine (when you are in front of it).