PDA

View Full Version : idle problems

ecl
09-07-08, 08:38
Problem 1

it wanders between 800-1200rpm, why? enough to clean the ICV? where is it located? any pics? where in the manual?
It also drops in rpm's when the ac is on.

Problem 2

sometimes, only sometimes when i turn the ac off, it stays at 800, then i hear a "snap" (like a valve maybe) and it jumps up to 1200, and the "snap" again and we're back down, and it goes like this. When it's at 1200 it's impossible to drive. When you go off the throttle it seems pretty harsh on the drivetrain.. any clues?

Thanks Eivind

Q4STHLM
09-07-08, 09:07
<The wander in "problem 2" is because of the extra load on the engine when the a/c-compressor is engaged/released (the snap and click sound) and is considered normal.

However, a wander of 400rpm's sounds slightly over normal and may be due to a leak in your intake system.
I would check all hoses to/from the intake manifold as a start.

arjunior45
09-07-08, 10:24
see this topic : http://forum.berlinasportivo.org/showthread.php?t=563&highlight=cleaning
and this is the ICV

Nick

ecl
09-07-08, 11:56
thanks.

but the problem in nr 2 is that it goes up and down with the "snap" when ac is not on, i'm not turning it on or off, it only accurs when off. if that made anyone any wiser:)

Eivind

wrinx
09-07-08, 18:57
Wonder if the ICV isn't keeping up with the changes in load?

Give it a clean and see if it helps.

wrinx

arjunior45
10-07-08, 12:06
thanks.

but the problem in nr 2 is that it goes up and down with the "snap" when ac is not on, i'm not turning it on or off, it only accurs when off. if that made anyone any wiser:)

Eivind

Idle is controlled by:
1} ICV / VAE {Idle speed control valve}
2} by-pass screw
and
3} NTC {coolant temp sensor}.
that's all.

Try to clean ICV and if you can find a second one from a friend {that's working} try this second one too.
Check the resistance values of the NTC {see how AlfaJack did it at http://forum.berlinasportivo.org/showthread.php?t=1134 }.

Nick

P.S.
if you had the EGR system removed make sure that the hose-tube under the throttle body is blocked - my mechanic left it open and there was air leak from there!!!

You can also check the vacuum hose from the throttle body to the ABS.