PDA

View Full Version : Turbo issues?

juamin
10-06-08, 11:40
well , ive checked tps, map, lambda. My car is boosting only 10 psi, with some peaks at 13 / 14 psi in 3rd , 4th and 5th and when i reach about 5000rpm on 5th the boost comes to 9psi aprox.
thats normal? I dont feel that the car is going too fast.
Maybe my turbo is passing to better life? I feel the push at 3500 rpm, and starts pushing his best at 4000rpm.
I have stock exhaust , std chip, no mods.

thanks for reading and helping me :redface:

Juan

Brul(tm)
10-06-08, 12:16
Maybe my turbo is passing to better life?

What is your milage? I replaced my turbo after aprox. 280.000KM (original as far as I know) So could be that your turbo is getting lazy...
Do you hear any noise, do you experience a louder sound than normal. Does is whistle when spooling?

I dont feel that the car is going too fast.

A Q4 that's quit standard is no fun or fast :eek:
The car becomes alive with a squadra/Evocars chip. Still not realy fast, but much better to drive. The car/engine handles much better.

Greetings,
Marc

wrinx
10-06-08, 12:18
Small vacuum hose leaks are usually the reason for lost boost.

wrinx

juamin
10-06-08, 12:24
hmm ive checked all the hoses and i replaced them.
My boost readings are ok? How does your boost go on higher rpm`s?

AlfaJack
10-06-08, 15:36
Sounds like you have normal base boost and a little over boost by the ECU. At higher revs the boost will tail off to. Try in 4th gear at 50mph and see how high the boost rises, you wont be going too fast in the beginning but I can usually get over boost at this point.

juamin
10-06-08, 15:40
Sounds like you have normal base boost and a little over boost by the ECU. At higher revs the boost will tail off to. Try in 4th gear at 50mph and see how high the boost rises, you wont be going too fast in the beginning but I can usually get over boost at this point.

If I do that , it boosts up to 16 psi, and then starts falling up to 10 psi more or less.
My car is 110.000 kmts.

AlfaJack
10-06-08, 15:46
So you have the 1.1 bar over boost which then tails off at higher revs.

I think it is running correctly. The Q4 is a pretty heavy car and performance suffers. I think you should get a new ECU chip for it or if you think the engine can handle it, install a manual boost controller to keep it at a constant 1 bar :)

juamin
10-06-08, 15:54
So you have the 1.1 bar over boost which then tails off at higher revs.

I think it is running correctly. The Q4 is a pretty heavy car and performance suffers. I think you should get a new ECU chip for it or if you think the engine can handle it, install a manual boost controller to keep it at a constant 1 bar :)

I see, my engine was rebuilt 100% original 15.000 kmts ago, do you think it can handle 1bar constant? I think ill go for the chip and see what happens.