PDA

View Full Version : Egt

jimnielsen
03-06-08, 10:15
As I've been messing around with the boost levels by changing the duty cycle of the pierburg valve, I bought an Innovate LC-1 wide band Lambda sensor, so that I can log AFR. I am also interested in putting a probe into the exhaust so that I can monitor the temperature of the exhaust. But unlike AFR where the values that you are shooting for are well known - I haven't seen as much info on what EGT's are "normal" and which ones are "dangerous for cars like ours.

Anyone got any input on this?

Thanks, Jimn~

03-06-08, 10:29
HF Alex writes EGT must be less than 830 deg. C on his website. With his background he is normally considered to know what he is talking about. However many modern turbocars have EGT up to 1000 deg. C. The value you read also depends on where the probe is located and the flow affects the temeparture upstream the probe. My recommendation is to contact a Garrett dealer to hear what they say about temp. limit for the T3.

I just got my LC-1 with DL-32 logger but haven't installed it. Are you satisfied with the LC-1? Is it easy to install and use?

/A

jimnielsen
03-06-08, 10:47
Before you install the LC-1 have a look at the forum on the Innovate website for the LC-1

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

The biggest problem is that LC-1 (and its a BIG problem) is that it can't tolerate ground offsets on the analogue ports. You have to ground the LC-1's many grounds to the same place as the datalogger ground.

There is some good info on exactly how to set it up here:

http://www.moates.net/images/ometer/wiring/

Once installed the device works very well. I have one of the analog ports connected to a analogue display 'thingy' called an O-Meter and the other to a DL-1 datalogger.

I have used the LC-1 in the car (not the Q4) (on a rolling road) alongside a multithousand $ Autoronic wide band setup - and the LC-1 read within 0.1 of an AFR across the entire band.

So for the money you can really go wrong!