PDA

View Full Version : Cams + Pistons

Steve Webb
19-05-08, 06:36
Right Paul in NZ has asked me for advice on replacement cams and pistons for his race car. He needs to keep the stock turbo, but other parts can be replaced. The engine is being rebuilt, so who do you guys recommend as piston suppliers, and which cams to go for? Links would be good with replies.

Steve

RMB-Racing
22-05-08, 00:23
Right Paul in NZ has asked me for advice on replacement cams and pistons for his race car. He needs to keep the stock turbo, but other parts can be replaced. The engine is being rebuilt, so who do you guys recommend as piston suppliers, and which cams to go for? Links would be good with replies.

Steve

W?ssner pistons

Pauter rods

Inlett cams from Fiat Tipo 2,0 16V N/A

That?s what I?ll put in my engine!

28-05-08, 10:45
I would go for the italian CPS pistons (?150 each) and you could have any compression ration you want [http://www.pistonispeciali.it/]. As long as you must keep the original turbo you can't go to high rpm and I then doubt other connecting rods will be worth the money. Maybe shot peening the std connecting rods.

Camshaft: Ronnie's suggestion is a goofd choice. Taking the std inlet cam to the exhasut side would improving the result even more. On the other hand; a Tipo 16V cam costs about ?300 Euro: You could have both camhsfts re-profiled and hardened for that price. It could be difficult to have as high lift as you want but then you could use two inlet cams or other N.A cams. As a last option, but not a bad option, I would say that a set of Colombi Bariani cams are an excellent way to increase performance, but again the turbo and especially the compressor sets the total airflow limit.

Turbo: If you can/are allowed do update the compressor to higher trim and modify turbine inlet for better pulse effeicency. The guy who helps me with my upgrades is fighting for the world record wit a Garrett T3 and I understand it is possible to acchieve VERY high BHP figures without being able to see any difference from the outside of the turbocharger, but being able to modify the exhasut manifold helps a lot.

Evodelta
28-05-08, 17:08
The guy who helps me with my upgrades is fighting for the world record wit a Garrett T3 and I understand it is possible to acchieve VERY high BHP figures without being able to see any difference from the outside of the turbocharger, but being able to modify the exhasut manifold helps a lot.

What is the world record for a T3? What size? What car? etc

29-05-08, 08:02
He is using the 2 litre Ford Cosworth engine and I think, if I remember corrcetly, that we are talking about 380 bhp. It was definitely somewhere between 350 and 400 bhp.